Below is the text of the Conservative Party Press Release on Mr Major’s comments on Conservative principles. It was issued on Friday 27th March 1992, reference 631/92.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE
“Since this election campaign began, I have been using these morning press conferences to make very clear the principles for which the Conservative party stands,” the Rt Hon John Major, Prime Minister and Leader of the Conservative Party, said at a press conference at Conservative Central Office, today.
I want to bring those principles together for you this morning.
We are fighting for low taxation – and for the voter’s right to know what the cost of Labour’s fantasy promises would be.
We are fighting for individual freedom – and for government free from trade union control.
We are fighting for the secure defence of this country, for Britain’s interests in Europe – and a respected place in the world.
We are fighting for opportunity and choice, for good public services, which respond to what people want – against the power of the state, for the power of the people.
I want to lead a government that helps people build their own lives, a government that gives people a good start, and a better life.
I want to give people what is rightfully theirs:
– their own money – as we drive down the rate of tax;
– their stake in this country, as we encourage ownership of homes – shares and pensions;
– their sense of responsibility – at work and at home with their families;
– their sense of pride – as the quality of public service is driven up by the new enthusiasm of a Citizen’s Charter that puts people first;
– their hope for the future – secured by economic recovery, industrial success abroad and good jobs at home.
That’s what I want for this country.
That’s what I’m going to fight for between now and 9 April.
And that’s why we will win.”